+39 089 858311 | www.chiesaravello.com
Opening: 9.00 – 12.00 | 17.30 – 19.00
Museo del Duomo: Summer 9.00 – 19.00 | Winter 9.00 – 18.00
Ticket: Ordinary Euro 3,00 | Groups 25 people Euro 1,50 | Children Euro 1,50
The facade has three ancient marble portal: the central one is closed by the famous bronze door created in 1179 by Barisano da Trani. In all of Italy there are, perhaps, only about two dozen bronze doors and the one on the Cathedral of Ravello is one of the most important: 54 rectangular panels decorate the door with figures sculpted in relief; one of them holds the name of the donor, the Ravellian nobleman Sergio Muscettola, and of his family.
The interior, with nave, two aisles and three apses, has the peculiarity of the floor being sharply inclined towards the square, for the purpose of obtaining a deeper perspective effect.
The right aisle contains a 14th century sarcophagus, donated by Bishop Francesco Castaldo, and a precious panel depicting Saint Michael Archangel defeating Satan, a 16th century work by Giovanni Angelo d’Amato from Maiori.
At the end of the left aisle, next to the presbytery, there is the chapel of San Pantaleone, with a linear architectural plan that contrasts with the lavish decorations: the chapel holds the glass, gold and silver ampulla containing the saint’s solidified blood that miraculously liquefies each year.
The central nave contains, on the left, the pulpit of the Epistles, commissioned at the beginning of the 12th century by Bishop Costantino Rogadeo and decorated with two precious mosaics depicting Jonah and the Male. Notable proportions and refined the pulpit of the Gospels, on the right of the central nave, created in 1272 by Nicolò di Bartolomeo from Foggia. On the right side of the Cathedral rises the 13th century bell-tower.